Waste to Taste is a food rescue and free food box program through Burrito Brigade. We work in collaboration with local grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, and farms to rescue food and redistribute it to the community.
Proof of income or hardship is not required to shop here.
WASTE TO TASTE FAQ
VISITING AND SHOPPING INFORMATION
Burrito Brigade and its projects are located at 1775 W 6th Avenue Eugene, OR 97402.
- Waste to Taste Shoppers: Please enter through the front door, which faces 6th Avenue.
- Volunteers: Please enter through side entrances, which face the Houndstooth Public House.
Shopping is by appointment only during the following days and times:
- Monday–Thursday: 4:00–6:00pm
- Fridays: 3:00–5:00pm
- Shoppers are encouraged to bring clean, reusable grocery bags or totes. Paper grocery bags and cardboard boxes are available in the entryway.
- When you enter the building through the front door facing 6th Avenue, the Waste to Taste pantry room is through the first door on your left.
- Check in with one of our friendly volunteers at the front desk, then make your way through the rows of food, selecting items that suit you and your household's needs.
- Before you leave, you can stop by the "protein table" which is staffed by another friendly volunteer. There, they will help you select from proteins, milks, eggs, etc.
- There is no formal "check-out" process. Simply exit through the side entrance facing the Houndstooth Public House when you've got what you need!
Please note: Some items are limited to a certain quantity per household, per week, due to limited availability – please read the posted signs above each section for guidance. This helps ensure that more households are able to enjoy a wide variety of foods.
We share a parking lot with The Houndstooth Public House. Please come as close to your appointment time as possible, preferably within 10 minutes of your appointment. Coming too early or too late impacts fellow shoppers. There is some parking in the lot, as well as some limited street parking off of 6th Ave, on Grant Street.
There is a bus stop at the corner of Chambers and 6th Ave, across the street from Burrito Brigade. It is the "Chambers/6th Station" on LTD's route. Please visit LTD's website here for up-to-date schedules and maps.
Our parking lot and building are at street level. There are some parking spots directly adjacent to the building, on the side facing The Houndstooth Public House. Waste to Taste does not currently have a designated handicap parking space, though there is one in front of The Houndstooth.
If you have mobility/transportation/accessibility concerns, please email email@example.com to inquire about our free box delivery program, or read below in the “deliveries and urgent requests” section.
SCHEDULING AND DELIVERY INFORMATION
The schedule is posted every other Sunday evening at 6:00 pm on this webpage for the upcoming TWO weeks. PLEASE NOTE: To serve as many community members as possible, appointments are limited to only one appointment, per household, EVERY OTHER week. There is a max of two (2) appointments per month, per household.
*PLEASE NOTE: Due to the January ice storm, the February and March dates have been adjusted.
These dates are when the schedule will be posted through the next quarter:
- December 2023: 3rd, 17th, & 31st
- January 2024: 14th & 28th
- *February 2024: 4th & 18th
- *March 2024: 3rd, 17th, & 31st
Currently, we are not able to offer recurring appointments, so check back often to schedule as needed.
Please use the Calendly calendar at the bottom of this page to book an in-person shopping appointment, or request a delivery here.
Note: When the schedule fills up for each two week block, Calendly will read ‘No times for current month.'
PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT, SEASONAL UPDATE:
Update as of 12/11/23: The waitlist is available on a very limited basis. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to contact each person on the list each week, as we have done in the past, due to limited capacity. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our shoppers, and we thank you for your patience and understanding. This update is a result of changes to the donations we receive, as well as seasonal fluctuations in the amount of produce available.
We understand, life happens! Please email us ASAP to reschedule or cancel your appointment so that we can open the appointment time for another shopper. (Any time before your appointment works.)
Thank you for helping us help others!
Need a food box delivered to your home, and/or need food urgently?
Waste to Taste provides a limited number of deliveries each week.
What qualifies for a delivery? It’s hard to say. Everyone has different needs. Here are some general guidelines that can help you decide.
If one or more of these apply, you can request a delivery:
- You have not received a food box from Waste to Taste within the last 7 (seven) days.
- You have not had access to food in 24 hours or more.
- You do not have transportation to Waste to Taste.
- You are disabled or otherwise unable to travel to Waste to Taste.
- You are pregnant or nursing.
- You are the parent or guardian of young children, or children who do not have access to school lunch programs, etc.
- You are elderly or caring for elderly persons.
- You have a medical condition which requires you to eat regularly to maintain blood sugar, take life-saving medication with food, etc.
We cannot guarantee that we will be able to make a delivery to your home. Our delivery radius is up to 5 miles from downtown Eugene. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis. Delivery routes and schedules are based on several factors and are subject to change at any time.
If you are able to pick up a box that has been pre-made, please notate that in the delivery request form.
TO REQUEST A DELIVERY, PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM.
There are other resources around the community that may be able to help you in the meantime if you did not receive a box from us this week. Check out Burrito Brigade’s neighborhood-based Little Free Pantry program.
Be sure to also check out these additional resources around the community, which are not affiliated with our nonprofit:
As of May 2023, masks are now optional! However, we do ask that you please keep the health and safety of other shoppers, our volunteers, and our staff in mind. A lot of folks we work with are at higher risk of illness and complications. So, we ask you to please stay home if you’re feeling under the weather, and consider wearing a mask while you’re here if you’re still experiencing symptoms.
Thank you for being thoughtful and considerate of our wonderful community!
If you have questions about our program or need help scheduling an appointment, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.