Solidarity Share Fair
The purpose of the share fair is to connect people with resources, services, and each other in a convenient and fun way.
The fair will be providing free goods and services from local people, organizations and community groups to unhoused and working class members of the community. There will also be food, live music, games, bike repair, and a chance to know other folks in the community – and it’s all free!
The Share Fair happens the last Tuesday of each month.
Next Share Fair Details
Day: Tuesday, May 28th
Time: 3:00 pm – 6:30 pm
Where: Monroe Park (10th and Monroe)
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2027838330858686/
Purpose of the Share Fair
- Create a safe, comfortable, & welcoming space
- Provide a wide variety of skill-shares, material resources, helpful services, and delicious food for free.
- Create a community space to build connections
Services we provide
- Bike Repair
- Food & Drinks
- Gear / Clothes / Other items
- Medical Care
- Empathetic Connection
- Tech Support
- Other Skills and Services that You want to share!
Check-in at the information table when you arrive. Please arrive a little early if you can and we’ll do a quick orientation.
Setup: 1 – 3pm
Share Fair: 3 – 6:30pm
Cleanup: 6:30 – 8pm
Please stay for cleanup if you can. There’s stuff to do until the very end.
Setup: Set up tables, put up signs, and get everything ready for the start. (1-3pm) (Details)
Cleanup: Help us ensure the space is left better than we found it! (6-8pm) (Details)
Kitchen: Heat up burritos, chop veggies, make food, do dishes. (Details)
Gear Tables: Organize donations and help people find things. (Details)
Info Table: Answer questions. Give out information. Direct people where to go. (Details)
Spa Attendant: Keep list and call names for massages and haircuts.
Floater: Do random tasks and/or fill in wherever is needed.
Empathy Table: Listening to people share their story.
Peacekeeper: Deescalate tense situations. Help people. (Details)
We want this to be a fun event for everyone. Please do what you need to be comfortable and happy!
- Take breaks! Find a quiet spot to recharge yourself whenever you need to.
- The food, coffee, and other services are there for you too! Feel free to grab something to eat, get a massage, enjoy the music, etc.
- Ask other volunteers if you need any help or don’t know something
How to deal with tough interactions
The vast majority of interactions are great and people are very appreciative & thankful. However the people attending the event have very stressful lives just trying to survive and taking care of their basic needs and sometimes there might be people who are stressed/upset and we want to make sure we create a safe place and everyone is respected.
Below are some tips to have better conversations when dealing with a tough interaction. Please only do what is comfortable for you and seek support when you need it.
- Use a buddy system
- Get support from other volunteers if you don’t feel comfortable
- Stay Calm: It will be easier for the other person to calm down if you remain calm
- Don’t argue with people.
- Don’t take things personally. You don’t need to correct the record or set them straight.
- Assume the best of people
- Recognize that people might be having a rough day and are often harassed. We want to create a safe welcoming place for them.
- Listen actively: let them know you understand their point of view and reflect it back so they know you heard them.
- Don’t shush them or tell them to calm down.
- Click here to learn more about de-escalation
Sign Up To Volunteer!
After filling out the form you will be contacted by a volunteer coordinator and added to an email list to receive updates about volunteering at the share fair.
We really appreciate you volunteering time for this important event. The Share Fair couldn’t happen without you.
We want to know how to make volunteering as easy, productive, and enjoyable as possible. After you volunteer please send some feedback!
There are volunteer opportunities in between the share fair days too (seeking donations, coordinating services, making art, etc)! Let us know if you’re interested in helping out! Email us at [email protected]
The Solidarity Share Fair is organized by the Neighborhood Anarchist Collective.